Sunglasses for kids are a definite must while children are outside in the blazing heat of the Australian sun.
Australia has some of the highest levels of UV radiation in the world.
Children are particularly sensitive to UV radiation skin and eye damage. As such, it is important to protect children’s eyes with special sunglasses for kids.
WHY ARE SUNGLASSES FOR KIDS IMPORTANT?
- Kids under 10 are at a higher risk for both skin and eye damage because their skin and eyes are more fragile, so protecting little eyes with kids sunglasses is essential
- It's never too early to get your child into kids sunglasses. If neglected, lack of sunglasses for kids can have detrimental long-term effects.
- Wearing kids sunglasses as a youngster can help protect against some of the most common eye conditions that develop later in life
Dr Michael Jones, a paediatric ophthalmologist in Sydney, heartily recommends kids sunglasses in Australia. ‘We tend to forget that a lot of our sun exposure happens when we are children, when we spend a lot of time outdoors in direct sunlight’, he says. He recommends that kids sunglasses should be part of an everyday sun protection routine.
SUNGLASSES FOR KIDS ARE MORE THAN JUST A FASHION STATEMENT
UV rays can still do damage on overcast days. Consider sunglasses for kids in cloudy weather as well as on sunny days. Fortunately, good kids sunglasses will protect both the skin around the eye and the eye itself.
Once children are old enough to manage wearing kids sunglasses, they should be encouraged to do so whenever they are outside. These glasses for kids should meet the Australian/New Zealand Standard for sunglasses (not fashion spectacles). Kid Sunglasses labelled as toys are not covered by the Standard and therefore should not be used to provide sun protection.
HOW DOES UV RADIATION AFFECT THE EYES?
It is important to provide good quality sunglasses for kids as too much UV radiation to the eyes can cause short-term problems, including:
- mild irritation
- excessive blinking
- photophobia (difficulty looking at strong light)
REASONS FOR KIDS SUNGLASSES
- Eyes are 10x more susceptible to the damage of UV rays than skin
- Eye cells do not repair themselves; damage is cumulative and irreversible
- Due to their immature pupils, children's retinas are exposed to 70% more UV rays than adults'
- Ozone depletion, resulting in stronger sun exposure
- Kids tend to spend longer outside thus increasing exposure to sun and UV
Investing in a good pair of sunglasses for kids can help maintain eye health.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN KIDS SUNGLASSES
- Playground-proof lenses
- Frames should be resilient and unbreakable
- Kids sunglasses should fit snugly and close to your child’s face
- Plastic lenses are best, unless your doctor recommends glass lenses
- Select sunglasses for kids with spring hinges for a comfortable fit
- Alternatively the bendable kid sunglasses are convenient and durable
- Polarised lenses eliminate glare and improve clarity of vision
- Choose kids sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays
Get your children to love wearing sunglasses by allowing them to choose the colour and style from our gorgeous range of Koolsun kids sunglasses – they will be only too happy to wear them!
Plus for a limited time receive 20% off your second pair of Koolsun Sunglasses so you can ensure your protecting your whole family!